1. Data Hub
The Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) has launched a data protection web hub (available here) for small and medium enterprises (SMEs). The hub contains:
- an assessment SMEs and sole traders can use to measure their businesses’ standard of data protection;
- FAQs related to data protection;
- hot topics for small businesses;
- guidance and tools to aid organisations in completing various data protection related tasks; and
- information on the data protection fee.
The hub also contains guidance on privacy notices, transparency and control, as well as a guide to the General Data Protection Regulation.
2. Consultation on Subject Access Request Guidance
The Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) has opened a consultation on its new, more comprehensive, draft guidance on dealing with subject access requests (available here).
The right to make a subject access request, broadly, allows individuals to find out what personal data is held about them and to obtain a copy of that data.
The new guidance ‘explains in greater detail the rights that individuals have to access their personal data and the obligations on controllers’.
The consultation on this guidance (available here) closes 12 February 2020.