08 Oct 2019
9:30am - 4:30pm
The Village Hotel
Our annual autumn event will take our usual format of a morning tour of all key employment law developments with our team of employment law specialists. We will take a look at recent cases and what they mean for employers and HR professionals.
We will also be taking a look at the new IR35 legislation coming into force for the private sector from April 2020 and helping you prepare for it in the most painless way possible!
We will cover:
- The legal framework and background.
- Who is and isn’t caught by it
- Tests, audits, processes, monitoring & communication
- A case study from the Public Sector – implementing IR35 and learnings from the process
- The HMRC Viewpoint – from a Tax Specialist
- Practical Solutions and things to consider in your planning and approach
This will be followed by our afternoon seminar where we take a deeper dive into a current hot topic – this time its Managing pregnancy and maternity in the workplace – reducing your legal risk and retaining your women returners.
Many of you will know that Employment Tribunals are on the increase. You may not be aware though that one of the largest rises in Tribunal claims comes from Pregnancy dismissal or detriment cases. In the period Oct – Dec 2018 these had risen 56% (on the same quarter in 2017) and all signs together with our experience suggest that trend continuing.
With this in mind, our afternoon session will focus on the topic of Pregnancy and Maternity in the Workplace. We’ll be covering the legal and practical angles so that you can reduce your legal risk and instead enjoy the benefits of retaining your employees during pregnancy, maternity and beyond.
We will cover:
- A summary of the key elements of the legal framework relating to pregnancy and maternity Your rights and responsibilities as well as those of your employee. Key areas of legal risk and how not to get caught out.
- Detriment during pregnancy – attitudes of others, lost opportunities, being over-looked for promotions etc.
- Communication during maternity leave – the do’s, don’ts and the grey areas
- Returning to work – the array of challenges facing the employer and the employee. This will cover returners in the same roles or new ones, part-time roles and flexible working.
- Redundancy – redundancy either during pregnancy, maternity leave or afterwards.
Please feel free to come along to either the update or the seminar or stay all day. As with all of our events, there will be plenty of time to ask questions, pick brains and network with fellow professionals.