08 Oct 2019
9:30am - 4:30pm
The Village Hotel
Our annual autumn event is split into optional morning and afternoon sessions. In the morning we’ll take you on a tour of the key employment law developments you need to know about and in the afternoon we’ll be running a seminar; ‘Managing Pregnancy and Maternity in the Workplace’. Both are designed for HR professionals and business leaders and will be led by our team of excellent employment law specialists.
AM: Starting at 10am we’ll be sharing our knowledge on a range of employment law topics:
- The new IR35 legislation coming into force for the private sector from April 2020 and helping you prepare for it in the most painless way possible! We’ll cover; the legal framework and background, who is caught by it, tests, audits, processes, monitoring as well as practical solutions and things to consider in your planning & approach. We’re delighted to welcome Tax Partner Alex Robins from Bishop Fleming who will share the HMRC viewpoint.
- Ethnicity Reporting – how to get prepared
- Disability Discrimination – diagnosis, undiagnosed and non-neurotypical conditions
- Key cases you need to know about
- The road ahead; new legistlation, government reforms and proposals from the Employment Lawyers Associaion
Lunch at 1pm will give you the chance to mingle and pick the brains of our team before we move onto the afternoon session.
PM: Starting at 1.45pm we take a deep dive into the hot topic of pregnancy and maternity in the workplace, focused on knowing the law, reducing your legal risk and retaining your women returners.
Many of you will know that Employment Tribunals are on the increase. You may not be aware though that one of the largest rises in Tribunal claims comes from Pregnancy dismissal or detriment cases. In the period Oct – Dec 2018 these had risen 56% (on the same quarter in 2017) and all signs together with our experience suggest that trend continuing.
We’ll be covering all the legal and practical angles you need to be aware of so that you can manage and reduce your legal risk and instead enjoy the benefits of retaining your employees during pregnancy, maternity and beyond.
We’re extremely fortunate to have Kristal McNamara from Flexology speak on some of the cultural aspects of pregnancy and maternity in the workplace. Flexology are a flexible working recruitment specialist based in Bristol. Kristal will talk us through the data around this topic and detail some of the emerging trends. As a champion for flexible working and retention of female talent expect some compelling information to expand your knowledge and to build your business case!
We will cover:
- A summary of the key elements of the legal framework relating to pregnancy and maternity Your rights and responsibilities as well as those of your employee. Key areas of legal risk and how not to get caught out.
- Detriment during pregnancy – attitudes of others, lost opportunities, being over-looked for promotions etc.
- Communication during maternity leave – the do’s, don’ts and the grey areas
- Returning to work – the array of challenges facing the employer and the employee. This will cover returners in the same roles or new ones, part-time roles and flexible working.
- Redundancy – redundancy either during pregnancy, maternity leave or afterwards.
Come along to either the update or the seminar or stay all day! As with all of our events, there will be plenty of time to ask questions and to network with fellow professionals.