World Menopause Day took place on Friday 18 October 2019 and ACAS took the opportunity to publish new guidance (available here) to help support staff who are affected by menopause symptoms at work. As well as guidance for employers, there are also tips for workers on how to raise any concerns.
Key points include:
- Create and implement a menopause policy;
- Provide awareness training for managers to deal with any concerns in a sensitive way;
- Create an open and trusted culture within the team;
- Make changes where possible such as altering working hours;
- Implement low-cost environmental changes such as providing desk fans;
- Awareness of employment laws that can relate to menopause issues at work such as the risks of sex, disability or age discrimination.