“earns rave reviews among clients”
Chambers & Partners – A Client’s Guide to the UK Legal Profession
We understand what it takes to be the best
That’s why you can confidently rely on our award-winning team for everything from our market-leading employment law annual retainer packages to our investigations, trade unions, gender pay gap, HR consultancy, pay & reward and Learning & Development services. We’re specialist employment lawyers who really understand HR and people management too.
Whether you’re an employer or employee, if you’re looking for expert employment solicitors and barristers who can provide creative, bold, no-nonsense, fixed-fee solutions to the employment law and people management worries keeping you awake at night… look no further. You’ve found the best here.
Get in touch
- Manufacturing and Engineering5th May 2016Keeping your organisation running is your number one goal. But achieving this in a sea of human resources challenges can be a struggle. It’s easy to get bogged down in issues relating to shifts, allowances, union recognition, trade disputes, attendance and discipline. We understand. That’s why we’re here to take the load off you. That means providing you with experts in employment law, HR and Learning & Development who understand how a factory shop floor works, what a production site needs to focus on and who provide commercially-focused advice as standard. Senior-level professionals that have learnt their trade from the ground up. Advisers who provide the kind of practical, common-sense support for you that, put simply, gets things done. Experts in dealing with trade unions. Delivering what manufacturing clients want and need At Menzies Law, it’s our continual focus on delivering what our many manufacturing clients want and need, in formats, timescales and pricing structures relevant to them. Because of this, we are the best at what we do in the South West and Wales. We understand that you’re looking for a senior-level professional team to work alongside you. We won’t pass you over to a faceless helpline operative or a junior lawyer out of their depth because you need an expert legal partner to help you juggle everything that lands on your desk. You need people who have a refreshingly practical, friendly approach to delivering common-sense advice. Experts who you feel confident working with and also won’t cost the earth. Guidance from those with long experience of how to handle trade unions. 3 good reasons why we’re the best… 1. We’ve sat on your side of the table We really understand the manufacturing & engineering sector. We’ve been working with major employers in the sector for decades, and half of our advisors previously worked as senior employment/HR advisers at the Engineering Employers’ Federation. We see things from your point of view and we understand how Production works. In addition to all of this, we are very experienced in dealing with trade unions. 2. We tell it straight Our advice is ‘straight up’, frank and matter-of-fact. We know you need a fast solution and that means presenting you with the options, each of them risk-assessed and ranked in terms of which will work best and why. And we will never, ever sit on the fence: we will always suggest what we think you should do and why. Our clients regularly tell us that our advice is simply in a different league to their previous experiences of legal advisers, for precisely these reasons. 3. We know you have to be cost conscious That’s why we are too, on your behalf. You want transparent, certain pricing that fits your budget and can be easily mapped to the things we deliver. You don’t want a series of ever-increasing legal bills you weren’t expecting. It is because of this that we rarely use hourly rates – preferring our fixed annual retainer package or project fees. Get in touch We’d love to talk to you, so please either call us on 0117 325 0526 or complete an Online Enquiry to start the conversation....
- Education5th May 2016With every funding cut and policy change, your life tends to get harder. And that’s before we factor in sick leave rates, performance levels and trade union relationships. There’s no denying it – being an HR professional in the education sector can be tough. We understand. That’s why we’re here to make sure you’re not doing it alone. Working with educational institutions – especially Further Education colleges and Sixth Form Colleges – is one of the things we’re best at. Providing you with technically superb, bold, creative and forthright employment law, people management and Learning & Development solutions – full of insight into what the education sector needs and where it’s going. At Menzies Law we think you should be able to take our technical expertise as a given. What really sets us apart is our commitment to putting long-term client relationships at the heart of everything we do, and our ability to deliver advice and support from an education sector point of view. We understand that you’re looking for a senior-level professional team to help you juggle everything that lands on your desk. People who have a refreshingly practical, friendly approach to delivering common-sense advice that’s appropriate for your college or school. Experts who you feel confident working with, who understand the constraints and pressures on you, and who won’t cost the earth. You will regularly find us speaking at AoC national conferences and regional HR events, and we look forward to seeing you there. 5 good reasons why we’re the best choice… 1. Specialist education sector advisers Every advisor, here at Menzies Law, is a specialist in colleges and schools – particularly the FE sector, where we support a significant number of colleges in the South of England. You won’t get palmed off with juniors, trainees, unqualified advisors or anyone who doesn’t know the education sector and is trying to hand you an off-the-shelf solution that doesn’t take into account your needs and your organisation’s culture. Most of us are, or have been, college and school governors, providing us with an insider’s understanding of how you work. There is simply no substitute for this level of expert, sector-relevant knowledge, developed over many years. 2. We provide the opposite of a helpline You’ll work with real people and get to know them well. When you need to make redundancies, battle with the union rep, bring in unpopular new terms & conditions or deal with the threat of a strike, you want to work with someone who knows you and your school, college or university really well. You want experience, a strategic approach and effective tactics. We provide a high level, collaborative partnership, bursting with sector insight and many years of practice… Something that’s not remotely like a helpline. 3. We know you have to be cost conscious That’s why we are too, on your behalf. You want clear, certain pricing that can be easily mapped to the value we deliver. That’s why we rarely use hourly rates – preferring fixed annual or project fees. Our core service is our fixed-fee annual retainer scheme. Although we do lots of one-off projects, we love working day-in-day-out, as an extension of your HR team. You get the best advice and support at the most competitive prices. You know how much you’re going to be charged and we even provide a money-back guarantee for new clients. (Now that’s something you definitely won’t find with any other law firm.) 4. Being human is important to us We are unashamedly honest and approachable but we’re also no-nonsense and down-to-earth. We work hard to help you manage and avoid risk – and that means refusing to sit on the fence when it comes to giving you the best advice. But that doesn’t mean we don’t care about the people at your college or school. We’ve worked in the education sector long enough to know that recruiting, managing and retaining the best people is what makes you a success – and we want to help you do that. 5. We look at the whole issue, not just part of it We’re not traditional tunnel-vision employment lawyers. We work in a ‘blended’, multi-disciplinary team for a ‘joined up’ approach to solving your HR challenges, offering complete solutions. Across our team we’re driven by what you need us to do, not by what employment lawyers traditionally do. That means we don’t just give the employment law advice that’s required – where useful, we also bring in learning & development, investigations, trade unions, pensions, data protection, pay & reward and any other people management advice and services you may need. With us the whole problem gets solved, not just part of it. Get in touch We’d love to talk to you, so please either call us on 0117 325 0526 or complete an Online Enquiry to start the conversation. ...
- News and Updates5th May 2016Updating and upskilling you and your team is what we’re all about. Just as you’d expect from a specialist team, you can rely on us to keep you informed of all important and useful news in employment law, equalities and other relevant HR developments. We provide a well-established and widely read news service, packed full of useful news and opinion. And we offer a high-quality annual programme of seminars to look at issues in real depth. News Service Taking a practical and ‘plain English’ slant, and pitched particularly at HR professionals, we provide you with an up-to-date round-up of employment law news and updates, including new legislation, proposed law reforms and recent case law which we believe you will find relevant. Our Newsletters are published monthly and our Newsflashes come out infrequently, when there is something especially newsworthy! Unlike many of the larger law firms, none of our news is sourced from a syndicate or written by PR agents. All our news and other content is written entirely by our own team and we pour our little hearts into making it all relevant, interesting and full of practical application for our busy HR readership. By subscribing to our News Service you will also receive our regular Blogs, full of relevant commentary, opinion and interesting ‘takes’ on recent developments. We aim to inform, stimulate and sometimes just make you smile. Sign up for our free blogs and news service News about us! Noteworthy news about our own firm and what we’ve been up to, including mentions in the media, can be found on our News about Menzies Law page. Open Courses & Events We run a range of Learning and Development events (usually 5-6 per year) which are open to both our clients and non-client organisations and individuals. For more information visit our Open Courses & Events page. ...
- Our People25th January 2016One of the biggest complaints we hear about our competitors is that clients get ‘fobbed off’ with unqualified helpline staff or lawyers too junior to add much value. Well you won’t find any of them here at Menzies Law. Every single one of our advisers in our award-winning team is a senior and highly qualified specialist in their field, with years of experience to draw on. Most of us have over 20 years’ experience each. Our specialists have appeared as legal experts on BBC TV News and in a number of newpapers, including The Telegraph, the Evening Standard, The Sun and the Bristol Post. We regularly speak at national and regional conferences and frequently write articles for leading HR and business publications, such as The HR Director and HR News. We are also pleased to be occasional lecturers on employment law at both the University of the West of England and the University of Bristol. We understand in depth how organisations operate, how people tick and how to get you the best results. Whether you’re looking for employment law, people management or L&D support, you can trust us to deliver the best of everything. To find out more about our specialists, their experience and what makes them stand out, take a look at their profiles below. To get in touch with any of our specialists, use the contact details above. Alternatively you can get in touch with us on 0117 325 0526 or complete an Online Enquiry. “A boutique firm that punches well above its weight” Managing Director, South West manufacturing company...
- Menzies Blog23rd May 2016Keep up with the latest employment law news on our blog. Our expert team write about a variety of topics relating to the world of HR, as well as people management, law and topical stories. We love to share our opinions (because we have a lot of opinions). Our team writes articles to inform, stimulate debate and sometimes just make you smile. Sign up for our blog and news service If you’re interested in having our latest blog posts delivered straight to your inbox, you can sign up for our news and blogs service emails here. You can stay up-to-date with Menzies Law and employment law news on social media. Click here for our Twitter and LinkedIn pages. ...
- Events and webinars6th June 2016Spring Employment Law Update Our next event is on 19 May at Bristol Zoo – see full details here Employment Law Basic Training NEW! We have a great basic employment law training workshop for HR and business professionals. We have no date yet for our next course but if you are interested in this training, let us know and we will put you on the list! see full details here. Employment Law WEBINARS When Covid-19 struck we were forced to abandon our planned Spring Employment Law Update. Instead we are moving to Webinars on current employment law topics and challenges. We are recording our webinars – please see our previous recordings here. Our next webinars are: Our Spring Employment Law Update will bw acheduled in early 2021. As ever, we can promise you an event packed with employment information and advice. Employment Law Updates Our popular Employment Law updates, usually held over a full morning in Spring and Autumn are a pain-free (well, we try!) summary of all the latest legal developments, a look at what’s coming over the horizon and our expert view on everything current in the world of employment law. Sometimes we carry on after lunch with an afternoon taking a deep dive into a particular topic. Our last two Employment Law Update afternoon sessions focused on: Mental Health in the Workplace which included an overview of mental health and the stats and metrics of its impacts on business, an overview of Mental Health First Aid Training and a detailed session on the employment law perspective of mental health. Pregnancy and Maternity in the Workplace – an examination of the law surrounding pregnant employees and those on maternity leave, reducing legal risks in this area and creating the right environment to retain women returners. We’ve had to put these Updates on hold for now but hope to return to them in the near future… Our Updates and Webinars are perfect for: HR Directors/Senior Managers; HR team members; independent HR professionals; senior business leaders with people management responsibility; or anyone with an interest in hearing more about development in employment law. All of our learning and development events are deliverable on an in-house basis. If you would like us to bring our training to you please see our In-Company page. If you would like to be added to our events mailing list, please sign up here. ...
- Law for Employees4th May 2016When things aren’t going to plan at work you can feel like you’re all alone. Making sure you get a fair deal can feel impossible. That’s where we come in – Bristol’s leading employment lawyers. Our specialist employment solicitors and barristers don’t only work for big organisations. We’re also there for executives and employees as well. There are two main things that sets us apart from ‘claimant’ firms who put all their focus on advising employees. First of all, we actually spend the majority of our time advising large employers, so when we support executives and employees instead, you can be sure that we know every trick in the book and exactly what outcomes and risks your employer is thinking about. Secondly, despite all our work for employers, every client of ours gets the same high quality advice, attention to detail and one-to-one approach – and you will be no exception. We can help Whether you’re having a few problems at work and want some advice, feel that you’ve been treated unfairly, are facing changes to your working conditions or are facing the end of your employment – we’re right by your side. Our Bristol-based employment solicitors and barristers will bring to bear our extensive experience of employment tribunal claims, harassment, discrimination, unfair dismissal, constructive dismissal, contract law, pay, pensions and other relevant areas to ensure that you get the very best advice and the best deal possible. We will help you to understand the rights you have and the best courses of action for your individual circumstances. Best of all, we speak plain English – to everyone. That means a guaranteed friendly approach, with clearly explained legal options so that you can understand quickly and clearly what your best options are and how to go about achieving them. Our employment solicitors and barristers will fight hard for you. And we aren’t afraid to be frank with you about whether it’s worth fighting for. We’re not in the business of wasting your time or money, so we’ll tell it to you straight. At the end of the day we want you to feel we’ve given you the very best, personal service, grounded in honesty and expertise. Discrimination and harassment We have an enormous amount of experience and skills to offer you when it comes to a situation involving discrimination or unlawful harassment at work. Whether it is related to sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy/maternity, transgender, race, nationality, disability, age, religion or belief, we are the experts who can help you understand your legal rights and decide the best steps to take in dealing with whatever you may be facing in your workplace. Equal pay Equal pay is a particular specialism of ours. As knowledge of the gender pay gap and equal pay rights becomes more widespread, we are increasingly helping employees in situations where they believe they are being paid less than a colleague of the opposite sex doing the same sort of work. If you feel you may be in that situation, just get in touch and we will assess whether we can help you. Don’t just take our word for it When we at Menzies Law buy something important, we like to be choosy and we always find positive testimonials from other happy clients helpful when making our choice. If you do too, please take a look at these testimonials from recent executive and employee clients. How much do we cost? It’s important to talk about costs up front. It’s all explained here. Employment solicitors for Bristol, the South West, South Wales and beyond Our employment solicitors and barristers are based in Bristol. However we cover the whole of the UK in our work, particularly across the South West and South Wales. As well as Bristol, Bath, Cheltenham and Gloucester, many of our clients come from across these two regions and elsewhere in the UK. Wherever you are based in the UK, we can help. Get in touch We’d love to talk to you, so please either call us on 0117 325 0526 or complete an Online Enquiry to start the conversation....
- Who we are25th January 2016We like to put things simply: Menzies Law is the best employment law and people management service in the South West and South Wales Dual-qualified as a barrister and solicitor, our founder Luke Menzies wanted to break the mould. He formed Menzies Law in 2009 to do something that was both refreshingly different and exceptional in the field of employment law and people management. And he’s continued to do that, along with his team of hand-picked, senior specialists, every day since then. From the outset we’ve been making lives easier for in-house HR professionals and senior executives on a daily basis. Why? Because our down-to-earth approach and our commitment to giving our clients exactly what they want sets us apart. It works brilliantly. We put our client relationships (as well as their needs) constantly at the centre of everything we do. This means we’re able to be flexible, transparent, innovative and friendly – as well as expert. Yes, we’ve genuinely built our entire approach to advising around what our clients tell us they want and how they want it delivered. That’s why you’ll only ever get ‘options based’ advice from us. We weigh up your legal, financial, reputational and other risks to identify the best ways forward in collaboration with you. You’ll never get any over-cautious or risk-averse advice from us. We’ll never sit on the fence. We’re always pragmatic, commercially focused and forthright in our advice and what we think you should do. And that’s why we’re an award-winning team that consistently receives praise from independent market research reviews. What’s the secret to our success? We love what we do. Due to our experience as real specialists across the employment law and people management disciplines, we’re able to deliver robust, sustainable solutions for the high-level, complex work that many others can’t. And because we each combine creative and bold advice with the highest level of expertise, delivered in a friendly, frank style, our clients really trust us. That means a lot. And finally, best of all we tell it the way it is and never sit on the fence. At Menzies Law, being the best isn’t always about doing something different… it’s about doing everything better than everyone else. Get in touch We’d love to talk to you, so please either call us on 0117 325 0526 or complete an online enquiry to start the conversation....
- Annual Retainer Service26th May 2016Almost all of our employer clients chose our annual retainer service – it’s that good There are plenty of employment law and HR annual retainer services out there. But ours stands out as one of the best, because of its senior-level expertise, flexibility and scope. There’s simply nothing out there to match it. We like to keep things simple. For a fixed annual fee you get almost unlimited advice and support, delivered by our senior industry experts. Whatever’s keeping you awake at night or away from your day-to-day business – send it our way. It’s an open-ended contract for an agreed annual fee. You pay us quarterly and you can cancel it with just three months’ notice, after the first 12 months are up. And finally, you only pay for what you want. We build you a bespoke package around your budget. Choice of modules Because our scheme is modular you can pick the services that matter most to you. These can include: Day-to-day employment law advice & support (our core service) Employment Tribunal claims Settlement agreements Updates and upskilling HR consultancy Pay & Reward consultancy – including Gender Pay Gap and Equal Pay audits Learning & Development Freedom of Information & Data Protection Our fixed-fee annual retainer scheme really delivers on its promises. You don’t get promised the earth but end up getting limited support, full of exclusions and exemptions. Our support is comprehensive. We won’t palm you off on junior, inexperienced or legally unqualified staff. All our advisers are senior lawyers with decades of experience as experts in their field. And you don’t have to worry that our advice is ‘watered-down’ or is risk-averse to avoid paying out under an insurance policy. There is no insurance company pulling our strings. You will always receive the very best, most appropriate advice for your situation and if you want to be bold and take a risk then we’re right there with you, all the way. Best of all, key areas like Employment Tribunal claims aren’t excluded if you don’t want them to be. Get in touch We’d love to talk to you, so please either call us on 0117 325 0526 or complete an Online Enquiry to start the conversation....
Senior HRBP EMEA
Cray UK Ltd
Senior HR Operations Manager
Vice Principal - Business Services and People
Customer Service Manager & HR Manager
Human Resources Manager
Human Resources Director
Customer and Consumer Services Director
Director of Human Resources
Ruskin Mill Trust
Head of HR
Director of HR
General Manager UK HR
Assistant Principal – Human Resources & Estates
Group HR Manager
Director of HR
UK Plant Director